Sunday, January 12, 2020

Wintry Thank You

As always, I am in need of a few thank you cards for holiday gifts. I found the inspiration for this from one I had saved on Pinterest. I liked the layered snowflake and basic design of that, so I incorporated those in my card.

I had seen Jennifer McGuire do a technique video about clear heat embossing on matte metallic cardstock, giving an etched look. I have been wanting to try that technique, and decided this would be a good opportunity. At first, I tried heat embossing the greeting (a freebie stamp from Purple Onion Designs) with clear powder. While it technically worked, it was just way too subtle for such a vital part of the card.

So I kind of switched gears, and stamped the greeting in Jet Black StazOn ink on my matte silver cardstock. I hit that with my heat tool for a few seconds to dry it faster so I could move on. I then used Mama Elephant's "Holly's Snowflakes" stamp set to do the faux etched heat embossing. I had to start over yet again, because some of the stamps shifted when I was stamping the snowflakes using a block, and blurred the images. So I used my MISTI tool to help me stamp the snowflakes on another panel, ensuring crisp images. I really love how this came out!

I cut another panel from a patterned paper from my scrap stash, and the bottom panel from a scrap of silver embossed paper that I'd gotten a long time ago at Michael's. I adhered those and my greeting panel to a dark blue cardstock panel that I'd cut to 4.25x5.5". I wrapped a length of a white shimmery ribbon around the middle of the card, and taped the ends to the back of the panel. Then, I used more of the same ribbon to knot around the band, and added a glue dot underneath the knot to keep it in place.

I die cut 2 snowflakes from white glitter paper with the "Paper Snowflakes - Mini" dies by Sizzix & Tim Holtz. I poked a hole in the center of each, positioned the larger one on my card front to mark its spot, and pierced a hole through the ribbon & panel where the snowflakes would go. I inserted a rhinestone brad through the hole in the smaller snowflake, then through the larger, & finally through my panel, then spread the prongs to hold it in place. I attached the panel to a white card base, and this was done!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Dies R Us Challenge #136: "Anything Goes using any brand of metal die that DRU sells" (used 2 Sizzix dies)
Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge: "Something New" (new-to-me technique of heat embossed "etching")
613 Avenue Create #229: "Anything Goes with optional twist - make it shiny" (playing the twist - white glitter snowflakes, rhinestone brad, & shiny ribbon)

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful thank you card great layout and love the layered snowflake.Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely wintry card. The clean and crisp layout is just perfect for these winter snowflakes. Thanks so much for linking up to the DRU "Anything Goes" challenge. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, I love the colours and design..
    Thank you so much for joining in with us at 613 Avenue Create..hope you will play along again..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!