Wednesday, January 27, 2016
You're Out of This World
The current Lawnscaping challenge is "Watercoloring." I've been wanting to do more with the "Monster Mash" stamp set by Lawn Fawn, and thought this would be the perfect opportunity!
The inspiration for my card came from this one by Sarah at A Blog Named Hero. I started by creating my starry background. I cut a piece of 140 lb. Canson XL watercolor paper to 4.25x5.5", and taped it to my cutting board, masking off 1/8" on all sides. After wetting the paper with clear water, I used my watercolors to drop in color, letting them blend and move together. I dried it with my heat tool, then added another layer of colors and dried it again.
After removing the panel from my cutting board, I treated it with my powder bag, to neutralize any static cling or moisture that might grab my embossing powder where I didn't want it. I then stamped the "Tiny Star Background" (from Hero Arts) in Versamark ink, and heat embossed it with Recollections Snow embossing powder. When that had cooled, I trimmed off the sides of the panel where I'd masked, and inked around just the edges with Black Soot Distress ink, to camouflage the white core of the paper.
I cut a piece of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper to 2.25" square. I stamped my monsters on that with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. I masked off the 2 monsters in the front & the flying one, so that the one-eyed monster would appear to be behind them all. I colored them with my Zig Clean Color pens, using a damp paintbrush to blend out the colors. I also added Lime Green Stickles to the wings of the one monster, and googly eyes to the flying monster & the one-eyed one.
One of the things that had grabbed me about the inspiration card was the Polaroid-style frame on the card front. I cut one from silver glitter paper, and glued my focal panel behind it. I stamped the greeting, from Hero Arts' "Shoot for the Moon" set, on another scrap of bristol, and cut it to fit on the frame. I used Perfect Paper Adhesive to glue it to my frame, and then adhered the frame to my background panel with my ATG. I added 2 strips of washi tape, using my liquid glue to make sure it would stick to the glitter paper. Finally, I matted my panel with a piece of cardstock I'd inked with Wilted Violet Distress ink, and adhered that to a white A2 card base. I will be sending this card in my next package to Send a Smile 4 Kids.
I'm also entering this card in a2z Scrapbooking's January challenge: "Fireworks."