Thursday, January 21, 2016

Sorry You're Laid Up


A family member of ours recently suffered a broken femur. My mom asked me yesterday if I had any get well cards that I wasn't using, and I said no, but I could make one. So this is what I came up with. I made this card inspired by the current Lawnscaping Challenge: Watercolor.


I began by die cutting 2 panels of 140 lb. Canson watercolor paper with the largest of Lawn Fawn's "Small Stitched Rectangle" dies. I used one of the pieces just for the waves, die cutting those with one of the "Stitched Borders 3" dies by Pretty Pink Posh. I also cut another waves panel from the bottom of my other die cut panel, for a total of 3 waves layers.

For the sky portion, I first stamped the greeting in Versafine Onyx Black ink, using Lawn Fawn's "Riley's ABC's," and heat embossed it with Recollections Clear Detail embossing powder. Once that had cooled, I smooshed Broken China Distress ink onto my non-stick craft mat and added water to the ink. I wet my watercolor panel with clear water, and applied the watered-down Broken China to the sky. I did the same with my waves, using Broken China, Faded Jeans, Salty Ocean, & Mermaid Lagoon Distress inks. After I'd finished painting each piece, I dried them with my heat tool, then painted over them again, to deepen the color a bit. Finally, I set those aside to finish drying, while I worked on the focal image.

I stamped the otter from Lawn Fawn's "Year Five" mini set in Ranger Archival Jet Black ink onto a scrap of watercolor paper. Using a couple of photos I found through Google for reference, I colored him with my Inktense pencils, blending the colors with a damp paintbrush. Once that had dried, I added "fur" with my white Sakura gel pen. Finally, I die cut him with the coordinating die.

To assemble the card, I first adhered my sky panel to a white A2 card base, leaving a 1/4" border on the top & sides. I then adhered the background waves directly to the card base. I popped up the middle and foreground wave layers on foam tape, and glued the otter to the middle layer with Perfect Paper Adhesive. Finally, I drew a line around the outside of my panel with a fine-tip black Pitt pen and ruler.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Through the Craft Room Door: Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion Challenge #295: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: Create with Critters

14 comments:

  1. What a fantastic card, what would certainly cheer me up !
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! The water looks great for your otter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is so sweet! Thank you for joining us at Craft Your Passion. We would love to see you again!
    ~ Bonnie DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a sweet card. sure to cheer up the recipient. thank you for sharing it with us at TTCRD and good luck, Theresa DT xx
    http://craf-ther.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!