Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Thanks


I created this card as part of Online Card Classes' "Clean & Simple 4" class. I must admit, when I signed up for this class, I wasn't really sure I'd enjoy it, since CAS cards tend not to be my style. The only reason I registered for this particular class was that it was to focus on techniques. Well, I have ended up enjoying it immensely! Not only have I created some CAS cards, I have increased my repertoire of techniques, that can be applied to non-CAS cards, too!

I took my inspiration for my card from a lesson by Jocelyn Olson, on Day 4, which was about adding texture to your cards. For her example, after painting in 2 opposite corners, she applied a layer of embossing paste through a stencil and let that dry. Then she applied another layer through parts of a different stencil, just in the painted corners.

To start, I cut a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper to 4x5.5", just slightly smaller than an A2 card. I created a wash of Wild Honey Distress ink and water on an acrylic block, wet the upper right & lower left corners of my paper with clean water, and dropped the Wild Honey into that. I followed that with a wash of Rusty Hinge Distress ink, letting the colors blend slightly. When it looked like I wanted it, I let it dry. Since the water cockled the paper slightly, which prevented getting a good contact between the stencil & panel, I had to put it under a book for several hours to flatten out.

For the stenciling, I chose the "Mini Garden Gate" stencil by The Crafters Workshop for the main background, and another one with leaves (name unknown, but I think it's by Heidi Swapp) for the corners. I taped the first stencil down over my panel, and spread Golden Light Molding Paste through it. After letting that air dry, I repeated the process with the leaves in the corners, then set that aside to dry.

I next took a piece of white cardstock and spritzed it with London Blue Dylusions spray ink and Heidi Swapp Tinsel Color Shine. I die cut the greeting from this using one of the "Many Thanks" dies from My Favorite Things. Since the inked paper was kind of thin, I die cut it again from a scrap of watercolor paper and glued the inked one to this. If I do this again, I will probably mist watercolor paper, to have a sturdier surface.

After the molding paste had dried thoroughly, I glued my greeting in place. For the top & bottom of the card front, I cut 2 narrow strips from white cardstock, & spritzed them with the same colors as the greeting, as well as my homemade Perfect Pearls spray. I glued one each at the top and bottom of an A2 card base, then adhered my main panel in place. I added a few sequins from Doodlebug Design, and this card was finished!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes"
Simon Says Stamp's Work It Wednesday "Something New" (new to me technique)

1 comment:

  1. Great card, love all the texture.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!