Saturday, December 20, 2014

Two Hanukkah Cards

A couple of our friends are celebrating Hanukkah right now, so I decided to make them cards. Hanukkah card ideas seem to be rather hard to find. Thankfully, I was able to locate a few from which to choose.


I got the inspiration for my first card from this blog post. Since blue and white/silver are traditional colors for Hanukkah, I decided to keep that as my color scheme. I chose 2 blue patterned papers & 3 metallic/textured papers, all from Recollections.

I began by creating a blank canvas sized to 4.25x5.5" in Photoshop, and sized & positioned the dreidel pattern on that. Then I typed my greeting underneath, & printed it all onto a piece of light blue cardstock. I used my craft knife and a ruler to cut out the dreidel portion, leaving a window in the card front.

After taping the pattern to the front of the cardstock with low-tack painters tape, I proceeded to cut and fold my paper strips. Finally, I positioned them over the pattern and taped them to the back of the cardstock. Once I'd finished, I removed the pattern. I inked the edges with Chipped Sapphire Distress ink, applied foam tape around the sides of the back of the panel, and adhered it to an A2 card base.

Just the center flame appears

For my second card, I followed directions I found in Kimber McGray's book, 100 Fresh & Fun Handmade Cards. I used dark blue cardstock for the card front. I cut the menorrah base from silver cardstock, and the candles from white. I also used gold cardstock for the flames. I added the wicks with a white gel pen. The "happy" die cut was made using this Simon Says Stamp die, and I stamped the letters to spell "Hanukkah" using Riley's ABC's from Lawn Fawn.

All nine flames are exposed

The card is a basic spinner card. The flames are on a circle sandwiched between the card front & base, attached to the card front with a mini brad through the center candle. It also has a notch punched out to expose part of the circle so it can be turned. In one position, only the center candle flame is lit, but when you turn the "wheel" around, all 9 flames come up over the candles. I think this is a neat effect, and not hard to achieve.

I'm entering both of these cards in Simon Says Stamp's Monday "Anything Goes" challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea, it's always a pleasure to see your work. I love the iris folding on this card. Very pretty!
    Happy Holidays from the team at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. We are so glad that you joined our Anything a Goes Challenge this week. Thanks for playing along. ~Michelle
    http://www.michellezerull.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cards are awesome. I especially love the beautiful sentiment on the second card. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!