Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Holiday Bells


Day 3's challenge at Bugaboo's 2nd Annual Holiday Chaos series is a color challenge. They provided a photo/color palette, to be used as the inspiration for a holiday card:


For my card design, I chose this sketch from Operation Write Home:


I actually experimented with different sketches using the focal image from Bugaboo Stamps that I'd chosen, and this one seemed to be the best to showcase it.

I printed my image onto a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper, and colored it with Inktense pencils, using a paintbrush & water to blend the colors. I used the inspiration photo to guide most of my color choices.

Once I finished coloring, I let that piece dry. I cut 2 paper strips, using patterned papers from Iron Orchid Design's "Rejoice" 6x6" pad. I also cut a piece of cool grey Core'dinations cardstock to 4.25x5.5" (again following the color palette), and embossed it with a Darice "Argyle" folder. I lightly sanded the embossing with a sanding block. With this particular cardstock, since the core is a slightly lighter color than the surface, sanding can help give it a two-tone look.

To help define the patterned paper pieces, I inked around the edges with Walnut Stain Distress ink. I also inked the edges of the focal panel, just to keep things uniform. I glued the patterned paper strips to the background, and then glued the focal piece in place. Finally, I inked around the outer edges of the card front with Walnut Stain, stamped a sentiment on the inside of the card, and adhered the completed front to my A2-size card base.

3 comments:

  1. What a great project! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Catch the Bug with Bugaboo Stamps! We hope you will join us again soon!

    Scrappy - Bugaboo Stamps DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty card! Thanks for joining us on Day three of our Holiday Chaos week at Bugaboo! We hope to see you every day so you can be in the running for that big prize!
    love
    Jen L
    Bugaboo Stamps DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card, great paper choices! Thanks for joining in our Christmas Chaos at Catch the Bug this week!
    -Mari K.
    Bugaboo DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!