Friday, October 17, 2014

Two Christmas Cards

Operation Write Home sent out a message recently that they were short of holiday cards, and needed more. I managed to make 4 total; these are two of them.


For my first card, I got my inspiration from this card that I found on Scrapbook.com. I felt this would be a great design to use part of a piece of 12x12" paper that I might not use otherwise, by just cutting a portion from one corner. I found the perfect paper (source unknown) in my stash. I cut a piece slightly smaller than an A2 card size, & adhered it in the upper left corner of a piece of red cardstock, cut to 4.25x5.5".

For the greeting, I used one of the stamps from this Hero Arts set. I stamped it in Versamark on the same cardstock I'd used for the mat, and heat embossed it with Ranger Gold embossing powder. I die cut that with one of the Spellbinders "Lacey Ovals" dies, & glued it in place on the card front. Finally, I adhered the completed front to a white A2 card base.


I found inspiration for my second card from this one that I'd come across on Pinterest. I especially liked the curved edge towards the top of the card front.

I began by die cutting the snowflake using one of these dies from a silver shimmer cardstock. I also cut the patterned paper to 4.25" wide, and die cut the upper edge with one of the "Stitched Borders 1" dies by Pretty Pink Posh. I also cut a piece of green cardstock with the same border die to go above the patterned paper. The I adhered those 2 pieces to an A2 card base.

I felt the snowflake got a bit lost on the busy background, so I cut a circle from teal cardstock with a Spellbinders "Standard Circles SM" die. I adhered the snowflake to that, and glued it onto the card front.

I stamped a greeting from this set on a piece of the same teal cardstock, and heat embossed it with Ranger Silver embossing powder. I trimmed the cardstock into a strip, and angled the left end. Then I glued that to the card front.

I didn't have enamel dots like the ones in the inspiration card. I was going to use pearls, but that didn't work out. So I ended up substituting sequins from Doodlebug Design, gluing them down with Ranger Multi Medium in matte. In addition to the ones next to the snowflake panel & on the greeting, I also scattered a few over some of the green dots on the patterned paper. And that finished this card.

I'm entering these cards in Hero Arts Holiday Challenge:

"Mad About Metallics" (snowflake card)
"Anything Goes" (Peace Love and Joy card)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!