Wednesday, October 1, 2014

You Rock!


Send a Smile 4 Kids' current challenge is "Fall Colors 4 Kids." So I created this relatively simple card for that challenge, and to send on to them.

I based my design on this oldie-but-goodie sketch from Operation Write Home:


I made the background layers slightly smaller so I could mat them, but otherwise stuck to the sketch religiously.

I started by cutting my tags from white cardstock. I stamped two of the leaves (one of them on 2 different tags) from an OLD set I have by Will 'n Way, using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I chose stamps that were larger than the width of the tags, just to add some visual interest. I colored them with colored pencils, blending the color out with Gamsol on a paper stump. I also added some sparkle with my clear Wink of Stella brush marker over the leaves. Then I inked around the edges of the tags with Walnut Stain Distress ink, just to give them a bit more presence. I punched a hole in the top of each tag with my 1/8" hole punch, and threaded brown twine from Hemptique through each. Finally, I added a bit of Ranger Multi Medium Matte to the knots, just to keep the twine from coming loose. Then I set those aside while I worked on the rest of the card.

I cut a piece of burlap patterned paper from The Paper Studio for the smaller panel. I also found the orange paper in my scrap stash for the background. Thankfully, the scrap was exactly the width I needed!

I stamped the "ROCK" part of the sentiment on white cardstock in Tuxedo Black, using Lawn Fawn's "Riley's ABC's." I die cut the "You" from white cardstock with this die from Simon Says Stamp. Then I pounced Walnut Stain with my mini ink blending tool onto it. I die cut the cardstock with the "ROCK" using the banner die from Lawn Fawn's "Stitched Journaling Card" set.

I adhered the tags to the burlap section of the card front with foam tape. After inking the edges of the greeting panel with more Walnut Stain, I adhered it to the card front, and glued the "You" on top, below the tags & overlapping the banner. I inked the front of an A2 card base with Walnut Stain, and glued the card front panel to that. Like I said, a relatively simple card that came together pretty quickly!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! Your fall card is adorable - I love those leaf tags, great sentiment, and your gorgeous backing papers! I don't have many fall patterned papers so I'm always on the lookout! Sending a smile your way!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!