Monday, April 28, 2014

Mom, You're the Best



The current challenge at A Blog Named Hero is to use layers on a project. Since I "had" to make a card for my mom for Mother's Day, I decided to make one for this challenge. So here goes....

For once, I did not use an Operation Write Home sketch. (Shocking, I know!) Rather, I found a sketch in the book Card Sketches for Paper Crafters, by the editors at Paper Crafts Magazine. I wanted to make an 8.5x5.5" top-folding card. Since I didn't have any paper long enough, I had to get a bit creative with my cutting for the card base. I cut one piece of white cardstock to 8.5x5.5", and the second piece 1" longer. Then I scored the longer piece 1" from the end, and adhered the two pieces together along that narrow strip. (This is a trick I learned when I took Online Card Classes' "Holiday Card Workshop 2013" class.)

For the background patterned paper, I chose a diagonal stripe from Die Cuts with a View that I've had in my collection forever. The green dot pattern within the frame is from my scrap stash.

To make the frame, I first cut a piece of white cardstock to size, then punched it with a Martha Stewart "punch around the page" set I have. (Sorry, but I don't know the name of the set.) I cut out the inside portion with my craft knife and ruler, about 1/4" in from the inner edge of the punching. To color it, I first applied repositionable adhesive to the back, and stuck it to a piece of scratch paper to hold it in place. Finally, I took Distress inks in Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Evergreen Bough, and Mowed Lawn, and blended them in a diagonal pattern across the frame. I cut a piece of the dot paper slightly larger than the frame opening, and glued it to the back of the frame.

For the focal panel, I stamped this image from Hero Arts in Ranger Archival Jet Black ink onto watercolor paper. After the ink dried, I colored the flower with Inktense and watercolor pencils. I rounded the corners with my 1/8" Corner Chomper, and inked the edges with Tumbled Glass. I glued this panel to the green dot paper, leaving a slight margin around the side & top edges.

I pierced holes in the dot paper, and then threaded bakers twine from Queen and Company diagonally across the card front. For the greeting, I cut a banner from white cardstock, and inked it with Tumbled Glass Distress ink. I printed a greeting from this digital stamp set by Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps onto it. Finally, I punched a 1/16" hole in one corner, threaded more bakers twine through it, and tied it onto the twine on the card front. To anchor the banner, I used pop dots.

Because the frame came out smaller than my card front and I wanted an even margin all around, I cut the front shorter. I adhered it to the card base, and then cut that down as well. And there it is--a card I hope my mom will love!

I'm entering this card in A Blog Named Hero's Challenge #42: "Layer Cake."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!