
The August challenge at Christmas Card Throwdown is to make a fractured card. Usually (at least from what I can tell), the strips on this card design are solid cardstock with patterned paper in the background. I wanted to do things a little differently, so I pulled out some old-ish cardinal washi tape that I got a few years ago at Paper Source. Because it's translucent & I wanted it to stand out a bit, I adhered lengths of the washi to a couple of scraps of white cardstock & trimmed the cardstock to the same width as the tape.
At first I was thinking of using solid cardstock for my background, & maybe having each section be a different color. I also considered using an embossing folder to add texture. Because the washi tape is about 9/16" wide, I needed a larger card to implement my idea. So I went with a 5x7" card. This ruled out a lot of my smaller (~A2 size) embossing folders. And the multi-color approach just seemed a bit too fussy. So I decided to stamp a subtle background with the "Holly's Snowflakes" set from Mama Elephant (discontinued). (I just couldn't leave the background too plain! 😆)The grey branches against the white background in the washi design inspired me to stamp with white pigment ink onto a light grey cardstock, for kind of a reverse effect. The white ink kept the stamping subtle while still adding a little interest.
For the focal image, I chose the single cardinal from Hero Arts' "Holiday Cardinal" stamp set. I stamped it on a scrap of Strathmore smooth bristol paper with Versafine Clair Nocturne ink & heat embossed with clear powder. Originally, I die cut that with a Waffle Flower "Additional Squares" die & painted the bird with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. However, I couldn't come up with anything for the bird to stand on, & I didn't want him just "floating" on a white background. So I thought of having him stand on a greeting strip. But short of cutting around just his feet with a craft knife & slipping a strip into that slit, I couldn't figure out how to accomplish that. So I ended up die cutting him with the coordinating die so I could easily tuck the strip underneath his feet.
I stamped the greeting, also from "Holiday Cardinal," onto a scrap of white cardstock, & cut it into a banner. I glued that onto another layer of cardstock, to make it a little sturdier, then cut around it.
I die cut another square for my diamond from a scrap of blue parchment paper. I adhered that to my card front, centered side-to-side but a little up from the horizontal center of the card. I adhered my washi tape strips around the diamond, cutting the ends around the edges as I went. Finally, I glued down my greeting strip & glued the bird "standing" on top of that. Even with the journey this card became, I am in love with the final result! I'm sure the recipient will love it as well.
I'm also entering my card in the following challenges:
613 Avenue Create's August Challenge: "Anything Goes" (not playing the optional twist)
The Paper Funday Challenge #91: "Anything Goes" (not playing the optional twist)
Interesting use of the cardinal washi tape to make this style of card. Thank you for joining us at Allsorts and for going along with the theme
ReplyDeleteThank you, Aquarius! :)
DeleteLovely card, I love how you’ve used the washi tape. Thank you for joining in the Allsorts Challenge using the All Creatures Great and Small option.
ReplyDeleteLiz xx
Thank you, Liz! :)
DeleteI do love a red Cardinal!
ReplyDeleteWe're always thrilled to see each entry arrive in our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create.
We do hope you'll return!
Wishing you the very best of luck with your entry.
Warm Wishes, Jackie,
DT member at 613 xx
Thank you, Jackie! :)
DeleteEffective design, thanks so much for joining us at Allsorts challenge.
ReplyDeleteB x
Thank you, Brenda!
DeleteLove how your fracture stands out from the card and really shows off your Cardinal. Thanks for playing along with my August Technique for 52 Christmas Card Throwdown.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tracy! :)
DeleteWhat a clever and lovely card, great thinking went into it. Thank you so much for joining us in our challenge at Critter Crazy Challenge this week. Good Luck. I hope to see you again in our next challenge.
ReplyDeleteFaith A DT
Thank you, Faith! :)
Delete