Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Out of This World Birthday

I had created a multi-colored inky background following a Jennifer McGuire tutorial that came out not to my liking. I was kind of disappointed at my "fail," since I had followed her instructions to the letter. Rather than chuck it, though, I decided to do something different with it. So I inked over the whole panel with Black Soot Distress ink & splattered with Gansai Tambi Starry Colors White Gold watercolor to make a galaxy background. That became the basis for this birthday card.

I stamped several images from Lawn Fawn's "Beam Me Up" set onto scraps of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper, and colored them with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers. For shading & added dimension, I used a damp paintbrush to draw more diluted color out to the highlight areas. Finally, I die cut them with the coordinating dies.

I used an oval die to cut the "planet" from light grey cardstock, & adhered that to the bottom of my background panel. I trimmed off the excess, & glued my images to that. I stamped a greeting from "Beam Me Up" in black on the bottom of the planet. I matted the panel with a dark plum cardstock, & adhered that to a white A2-size card base. Finally, I used Ranger Multi Medium Matte to glue googly eyes on to each of the aliens. I love how this card came out, & I think it will bring a smile to a child's face. And to think, it all started with a "failed" background!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

4 comments:

  1. So cute! Thanks for leaving this in our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. Superb use of something that you hadn’t been happy with. Thanks for joining us at Creative Knockouts.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine x DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!