Sunday, October 17, 2021

Have a Stellar Birthday!


The current Lawn Fawnatics challenge theme is "Spectacular Skies." I thought, how much more spectacular is a star-filled galaxy sky? I combined 2 Lawn Fawn stamp sets - "Super Star" & "Bubbles of Joy" - with a few Lawn Fawn die sets to create my card.

For the sky/background, I first die cut a panel from Strathmore Mixed Media paper with the largest of the "Large Stitched Rectangle" dies. Rather than using watercolor or ink blending to create my galaxy background, I decided to try ink smooshing combined with sprays. First, I applied Fossilized Amber, Picked Raspberry, & Chipped Sapphire Distress inks onto my non-stick craft mat. I spritzed them with water, & plopped my panel face-down in the ink. I quickly learned that the Fossilized Amber doesn't seem to play well with Chipped Sapphire, at least if you want a bright green, & ended up with a slightly muddy green instead. Fortunately, that was only my first layer! I dried that with my heat gun, & smooshed my panel back into the watery ink. I daubed up the muddy color spots with a dry cloth, dried it again with my heat gun, & then moved on to sprays. I spritzed first with London Blue & After Midnight Dylusions sprays. I did just a couple of light sprays at first, since I didn't want to cover my ink smooshing completely. I dried that with my heat gun, and spritzed on some Black Marble Dylusions spray. After I dried that, I added more of the London Blue & After Midnight, then a little more Black Marble. I dried all that, and splattered on the White Gold & Blue Gold Gansai Tambi Starry Colors watercolors for good measure. The watercolors did pick up the blue from the spray ink, but I still think the effect was worth it. I LOVE how this background came out!!! I will definitely have to do this more in the future! 😊

I die cut another piece of mixed media paper with the same stitched rectangle die, & die cut the upper border with a "Stitched Hillside Borders" die. I used Fresh Lime & Cut Grass Dylusions sprays to add color to my grassy hill. This gave it the same speckled look as the sky, creating cohesion.

I let my panels dry overnight, so I could be sure they were completely dry, since I wanted to heat emboss on both pieces. I used a few of the star/constellation stamps in "Super Star" & Ranger White Super Fine Detail embossing powder to "decorate" my sky. I also used a greeting from "Super Star," & heat embossed that in white on the grass layer. I didn't trust myself to emboss the exclamation point in the stamp set well, since it is so tiny. So I added one with a white gel pen. The gel ink, however, picked up the green from the sprays, so I decided to go over it again with the pen, then immediately apply white embossing powder & see if that would heat emboss. And it did - perfectly!

I stamped my images onto Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I colored them with my Prismacolor pencils, and cut them out with the coordinating dies. I also die cut a balloon & string from "Party Balloons" for the mouse from "Bubbles of Joy" to "ride" on. I added a bit of shading to the balloon with a colored pencil, though I'm not sure it made much of a difference in the end.

Because I used liquid glue to add my images, I first added a coat of Distress Micro Glaze to my sky & grass, hoping to keep the glue from reactivating the ink. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but I was very careful, & managed to keep the Dylusions & Distress inks from smearing all over the place. I glued the balloon & string first, then added my mice & telescope. I glued the speech bubble near the flying mouse, & stamped the "Make a wish" from "Super Star" in Versafine Onyx Black ink. Then I adhered my finished card front to a white A2-size card base.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

12 comments:

  1. Super cute card! I love the starry nighttime sky, it goes perfectly with your scene! Thank you so much for playing the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge!
    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous starry night background and cute little mice.Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create and hope you will join us again
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous and very cute night sky with those cute little mice,love it..
    Thank you so much for joining in with us at 613 Avenue Create..hope you will play along again..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! What a fabulous sky!!! And a super cute little scene to go along with it! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this scene is soo cute! loving all the little stars on the dark blue sky! thank you so much for playing with us at Lawn Fawnatics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is this? You did a great job and achieved an awesome outcome! Thanks for sharing it with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!