Sunday, June 6, 2021

Happy Birthday to a Beautiful Friend

  

A good friend of ours has a birthday this weekend. She always appreciates my cards, so I tend to make them really special. The "Beautiful Pop-up Book Card" tutorial by Sam Calcott at Mixed Up Craft inspired this card.

I first created a 5x7" card base from heavyweight white cardstock. I cut a piece of script patterned paper to 4-1/2x6-1/2", and matted it with pink, leaving a 1/8" border, then adhered it to the card base. I used Altenew's "Vintage Roses" stamp set & coordinating dies for the flowers and leaves. Our friend lives in Tyler, TX, which is designated the Rose Capital of America, so that guided my choice of flowers.

I created the greeting for the front in Photoshop, & printed it onto parchment paper. I die cut that with a Spellbinders "Decorative Labels One" die (discontinued). It kind of got lost on the script paper, since there is not much color difference, so I die cut a mat from pink with a Spellbinders "Labels One" die (discontinued), that coordinates with the decorative label. I adhered those together, and mounted them to my card front. Finally, I glued the roses & leaves in place around the greeting.

Inside of card

The recipient is a church choir director, so I decided to make this "book" card a music book. I found royalty-free sheet music online, and downloaded it. I printed out the first 6 pages, and scanned them into my computer. I opened each page in Photoshop, & sized them so they would fit on the book pages, following the measurements in the tutorial. I then printed them onto parchment paper, & cut them to size.
 
I matted each music page with pink, & adhered them to the inside pages that I'd cut from white cardstock. I also added the end papers to the inside covers of the card. I created the mechanism as per the tutorial, and inserted my pages.
 
I die cut the "happy birthday" from black glitter paper, using the "Celebration Words: Script" die set from Sizzix by Tim Holtz. I added that to another "Decorative Labels One" die cut, that I'd cut from a double layer of Essentials by Ellen 40 lb. vellum. (The vellum helps mute the background sheet music, to make the greeting more legible, without totally obscuring the notes.) To finish, I added a couple more roses & leaves in opposite corners of the greeting. I made a matching envelope as well. Since there is a bit of bulk to this card, I couldn't really use a "flat" envelope, so I made one that's a bit more like an envelope-shaped box.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge: "Inspired by an Artist" (design & flower accents inspired by Sam Calcott)

6 comments:

  1. This is a perfect card for your friend - what a beauty. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas for our Birthday challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a very special card! So clever with the music for a church choir director.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure your friend will appreciate this gorgeous card. I love you attention to detail and all the layers. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Dies R Us Challenge Blog. We hope you will join us often.
    Kathy
    DRU DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!