Sunday, December 15, 2019

Three Holiday Tags

This is a bit of a different project for me--not a card. Ellen Hutson has been having their "12 Tags of Christmas" challenges, with each tag inspired by the designer's favorite Christmas song. I created 3 tags for that.


Sandy Allnock's tag, based on "Deck the Halls," inspired my first one. She mentioned in her video that, even though she used Copic airbrush, you could get a similar effect with ink blending, so that's what I did. For the tag, I die cut the largest of the Sunny Studio "Crescent Tag Toppers" into a piece of white cardstock, then trimmed it to the proper width. I stamped the bulb from Sunny Studio's "Merry Sentiments" set 3 times on my tag. For the middle bulb I used Abandoned Coral & Festive Berries Distress Oxide inks. I used Squeezed Lemonade & Mustard Seed Oxide inks for the yellow, and Mowed Lawn & Lucky Clover Oxides for the green. For the "metal" on each I used Hero Arts Soft Granite ink (stamped 3 times) for the base & Hero Arts Charcoal ink for the shadow layer. I heat embossed the filaments in white. I stamped the greeting, also from "Merry Sentiments." I used Versafine Clair Morning Mist for the first part, and the darker of each of the Oxide inks I'd used on the bulbs for each of the remaining words. For the glow around the bulbs, I masked each bulb & ink blended with the lighter ink color, with the corresponding regular Distress inks. Finally, I rounded the bottom corners; & die cut a star tag reinforcer, glued it in place, and punched a hole through the tag with a 1/8" hole punch after the glue had dried.


My second tag was inspired by Jessica Frost-Ballas' "Let It Snow" tag for Day 8. She made a snow globe shaker tag. I used digital images for mine: Doodle Pantry's "Snow Globe Gala" & Dearie Dolls' "Little Snowman." I sized & combined all the images in Photoshop. I printed the full composite onto a panel of watercolor paper for the back layer, and printed just the snow globe onto an identical panel of watercolor paper for the front. I taped the panels together with painter's tape, and fussy cut around the perimeter, so both layers would be identical. I used a circle die to cut the opening from the front globe, doing partial die cutting to keep the bottom edge straight. I colored each layer with my Inktense pencils, using a damp paintbrush to pick up the color from the pencil & apply it to the paper.

To create the shaker, I adhered the front globe to a piece of acetate, and trimmed the acetate to size. I applied 2 layers of foam tape to the back of my snow globe, added clear seed beads to the open globe area, and added the back piece. I die cut a tag top with a "Crescent Tag Toppers" die, and glued it to the back. Finally, I added another die cut circle over that, just to give a neater appearance. I die cut a second tag with a "Tags a Lot" die by Mama Elephant (discontinued), stamped the to & from on that, and added it to the twine hanger. That way, that tag can be removed, and the main snow globe can be used as an ornament.


The inspiration for my final tag came from Heather Meeson's on Day 7. Her Christmas song was "Cool Yule." Her scene made me think of one I have, the HettyClare "Singing Snowmen" digital image. I sized it in Photoshop, printed it onto watercolor paper, & die cut it with a circle die. I colored it with my Inktense pencils & a damp paintbrush. I die cut a frame using the same circle die & one that was 2 sizes smaller, & glued it to my tag. I die cut a scrap of the same red with a "Crescent Tag Toppers" die & glued it to the back. I added another red die cut circle to the back, covering the tag topper. I cut another tag, stamped the to & from, and added it to the twine hanger. As a finishing touch, I applied tacky glue to the bottom of my image, & added mylar "snow" for a bit of sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!