Thursday, December 5, 2019

Merry Christmas Door


I created one more card for Christmas Card Throwdown's "Watercolor" challenge. I have had the "Front Door" & "Door Decor #1" stamps by Stacey Yacula for Purple Onion Designs for a long time, and had never really used them. I decided this would be the perfect occasion.

Because these stamps are red rubber, and therefore not see-through, I created placement guides by stamping each image on an acetate scrap & outlining the stamp itself on the acetate with a permanent marker. This helps me see where the image will go when I stamp with my MISTI. I stamped  the poinsettia & logs from "Door Decor" onto a panel of 140 lb. watercolor paper first. Then I masked them, and stamped the door. That makes it look like the poinsettia & logs are in front of the wall.

After I removed my masks, I used my Mijello Mission Gold & Da Vinci watercolors to paint the image. I knew I wanted a red door to add to the festive vibe, so I kept the wall, porch, & steps more neutral. I also mixed a warm grey for the walkway, just for contrast against the cooler greys of the house & steps.

For the sign, I measured the welcome sign from "Door Decor #2," another of Stacey's designs, which was 3/4x3/8". I wanted a Merry Christmas sign, but didn't have a stamp that small. So I turned to Photoshop. I created a blank "canvas" that size, and used the custom shape tool to draw a frame, which I filled with red. I chose the Aquaduct Plain font, and typed the Merry Christmas inside the frame, using the same red color as the frame. After I sized & spaced the text, I printed the sign onto a small piece of ivory cardstock. I fussy cut that out, and glued it to the door.

I used Tulip Puffy fabric paint for the snow. I had never used this on paper before, but figured I'd give it a whirl. I applied a coat of the paint on either side of the walkway, and let it dry for several hours, as instructed. The paint puffs when steam is applied. I wasn't sure how steam would affect my painting, so I was very careful when applying it with my iron. Thankfully, the paint did puff, and the steam didn't mess up the watercolor!

All I had left to do then was adhere a panel of red cardstock to a white A2 card base & glue my image panel to that. I am so happy with how this card came out! :)

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: "Traditional Christmas"
613 Avenue Create Challenge #228: "Anything Goes" (not playing the twist)
Through the Craft Room Door: "Anything Goes"

16 comments:

  1. Effectivement, quelle meilleure occasion de jouer avec ces superbes tampons, ta carte est si chaleureuse et sympa Andrea, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52cct, biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Beautiful Holiday card! Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create Challenge, Hope to see you again next challenge!
    Shell *DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing card, I like watercolors.
    Thank you for participating in our Anything Goes Challenge at This week through the door to the craft room . See you in the next challenge.
    greetings
    Danka
    TTCRD
    Danki's creative passions {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely watercolour card. And a wonderful scene. All that extra work with the stamping was definately worth the extra effort. Thanks for playing along with us at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely image and card, while definitely festive it has a very restful, calm feeling too. Thanks for sharing with us at 52CCT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous door card! So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create. Please come back again! The best of luck with your entry. Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did really well to use these stamps! What a beautiful card you created with all these treasures and the beautiful watercoloring! Thank you so much for playing along with us at 52CCT! Rosi x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!