Thursday, January 31, 2019

Floral Birthday

A friend of mine is celebrating her birthday this weekend, so I made her this card. I used a new-to-me die, "Peacock Backdrop" by Kat Scrappiness, for the background. I'm entering this card in Die Cut Divas' "Something New" challenge.

I began by cutting a piece of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper to slightly larger than 4.25x5.5". I ink blended Dried Marigold Distress ink, creating an ombre effect by adding more ink towards the bottom and fading as I went up the panel. Then I die cut it with the "Peacock Backdrop" die.

I stamped 3 flowers & leaves, using My Favorite Things' "Watercolor Flowers" set (discontinued). Because the coordinating dies for this layering stamp set are solid, rather than just the outline, I had to die cut first, then stamp. When I stamped, I just backed the negative portion of the cardstock I'd die cut from with Frog tape, placed it into my MISTI stamp positioner, & popped the die cuts in the openings where the tape was to hold them in place. For the yellow flowers, I used Memento Dandelion, Hero Arts Butter Bar, & Simon Says Stamp Sunshine inks. For the pink, I stamped with Lawn Fawn Ballet Slippers, Hero Arts Bubble Gum, & Lawn Fawn Wild Rose. I used Altenew Forest Glades & Hero Arts Forever Green for the leaves. I also used Hero Arts Cup o' Joe ink for the flower centers.

For the greeting, I used the "Script Birthdays" stamp set from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. I stamped the "birthday" word on a strip of navy cardstock with Versamark ink, and heat embossed with Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder. Then I repeated the process with the "happy" stamp. It actually took me a few tries to get the "happy" straight, but I finally managed!

I cut another strip of navy cardstock to run vertically on my background. I also cut two 1/8" wide strips and a 3/8" wide strip of a light blue shimmer cardstock. I glued the narrower strips to my background, spacing them so they would run along either side of the horizontal strip. I adhered my 3/8" strip to the navy, adhered that to my background over the narrow strips, & finally glued my greeting strip in place. I used liquid glue to stick the flowers to the card front. Finally, I glued my panel in place on a white A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in 613 Avenue Create's "Anything Goes" challenge #217.

4 comments:

  1. I like the ombre background die-cut. Nice depth without taking away from the flowers. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Beautiful! Thanks so much for participating in the Die Cut Divas Challenge this time and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!