Saturday, September 17, 2016

Happy Halloween - Times Two


I created 2 Halloween cards for the Stella Says Sketch Challenge #413 at Catch the Bug Challenge Blog. Both cards will go to Send a Smile 4 Kids.


For my first project, I created a landscape format card. I used the "Halloween Pumpkin" image from Bugaboo Stamps, and printed it onto a piece of kraft cardstock. I die cut that with a Spellbinders "Classic Ovals LG" die, and colored it with my Prismacolor colored pencils. I also added some shine to the spiders' eyes with a Sakura black glaze pen. For the mat, I used the largest of Spellbinders' "Beaded Ovals" dies (apparently discontinued), and cut it from a light yellow-orange cardstock. I glued that to a piece of black cardstock, and cut around the edge, just to have a solid color peeking through the spaces in the die cut. Finally, I glued my focal image oval to the beaded oval mat.

I created a blank A2-size "canvas" in Photoshop. I also scanned the beaded oval die cut into the computer, and opened it in Photoshop. I moved that to my blank canvas, and positioned it where I wanted it to be on my finished card. I used that to help me position my greeting, which I created. I then printed that onto a piece of kraft cardstock cut to 4.25x5.5".

I cut a piece of patterned paper from Recollections' "Witch's Dust Halloween" 4.5x6.5" pad for the strip behind my focal panel. I also die cut black borders using the smaller of the "Scallop Border" dies from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. I adhered the borders behind the top & bottom of the patterned paper strip, and glued my focal panel to that. I then adhered the whole piece to my card front, and mounted that to a white A2 card base. I finished it off by threading some embroidery floss through a button, tying it in a knot, and gluing the button to my card.


For my second card, I did basically the same procedure, but on a portrait card. I used Bugaboo's "Chubby Ghost Sucker" image; printed it on white cardstock; and colored with my Prismacolors, adding just a bit of shading to the ghost. I cut a beaded oval from black cardstock, and backed it with orange. My patterned paper strip is from Echo Park's "The Story of Fall" 6x6" pad. I did the greeting the same way as in my first card, and printed it on a piece of white cardstock. After I assembled the card, I die cut a button using a My Favorite Things "Vintage Buttons" die. I glued that in place without threading it, and applied a coat of Glossy Accents just to the button.

4 comments:

  1. I love both your Halloween cards, too cute to spook, but ultra sweet indeed! Great job!
    Thanks for playing with us over at Catch the Bug, good luck in the challenge. Pia, Bugaboo DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!