Monday, August 3, 2026

Around the World

 
The optional topping for Seize the Birthday's Challenge #331 is to make a square card with a non-white base. I needed a card for my brother's 50th birthday, & found the perfect graphic that works with a square format. He is a pilot & also loves to travel, so it seemed serendipitous when I found the image of a plane going around a globe. Jules Verne's novel, "Around the World in 80 Days," inspired the first part of the greeting.
 
 
 
I had to google how many days my brother has actually been alive. What did we ever do before online search engines???
 
I opened the main image, from Magnific.com, in Photoshop. The globe in the image didn't work with my vision, so I found another one at PNGFind.com of a globe where the landmasses were outlined instead of silhouetted. I selected the globe in the main image & deleted it, then moved the outline globe & positioned it where the original globe had been. I created a circle path to type the greeting on, & then entered the text. The bottom part of the greeting was a bit difficult, as I had forgotten how to reverse the text so it curved up like I wanted, but I eventually figured it out. I also reduced the opacity of the globe itself, so I wouldn't have black outlines when I colored. Since wax-based colored pencils kind of - but don't totally - obscure outlines on an image, I just didn't want to fight with that. Finally I printed my panel onto a piece of Strathmore Colored Pencil paper.
 
I colored the globe with my Prismacolor colored pencils. In traditional globe-coloring fashion, I colored the landmasses green & the water blue. But I decided to do Antartica & the North Pole area with a very pale blue. I mean, ice isn't green, is it? 😉 
 
I created my card base from a pale grey cardstock. I trimmed my main panel 1/4" shorter & narrower than my card base. I adhered that to a piece of teal cardstock & cut the mat so it was 1/16" larger on all sides. I did the same with a green mat, then adhered that to my card base. And that finished my card. The hardest parts were formatting the lower text to curve properly & keeping track of what was land & what was water when I was coloring. Not that the latter was hard, per se, but I did have to stay focused. I absolutely LOVE how this card turned out, & am happy to report that my brother loved it, too!
 
I'm also entering my card in Little Red Wagon's "One Thing" challenge. (I used one composite image.) 

6 comments:

  1. Great card! I love how personalized it is. Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic card Andrea! So clever and creative (and appeals to the map nerd in me). Thanks so much for playing along with my topping at Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great card for a Pilot - I bet he loves it! Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your ideas on my work, so let me know what you think!