Friday, March 17, 2023

Happy St. Patrick's Day


I used the sketch for Try Stampin' on Tuesday's Challenge #597, plus the photo from Inspiration Station's Prompt #47 challenge as the basis for my card. The inspiration photo made me think of Ireland - perfect for a St. Patrick's Day card!

I used Honey Bee Stamps "Plaid Background" stencils (discontinued) to create my background. For the hashed stripes, I brought in a stamp from My Favorite Things' "Plaid Background Builder" set (also discontinued). I used Twisted Citron & Salvaged Patina Distress inks for the stenciled portion of the plaid, & Mowed Lawn Distress Oxide ink for the stamping.

I googled "Irish blessing" to get the blessing for the main panel. I found one (I forget the site name), & decided it fit with the sketch design perfectly. I created a blank "canvas" in Photoshop the size I wanted the main panel. I copied & pasted the text for the blessing, & formatted it with the Celtic Hand font. It took a bit of fiddling with the font size to get the lines of text to come out how I wanted, but I prevailed! I printed that onto a panel of light green cardstock. I also created the greeting in Photoshop, using the Ramsey SD font. I printed that onto a strip of light blue-green cardstock.

For the shamrocks, I created a pattern using the custom shape tool in Photoshop. I printed that onto copy paper. The cardstock I chose to stitch on was too thick to see through to use my lightpad to transfer the pattern. So I traced the pattern onto tracing paper, placed that on the back of each circle, & used it as a guide to pierce my stitching holes. I used green DMC floss to do the stitching.

To assemble my card, I adhered the plaid panel to a white A2-size card base. Then I added the greeting strip & stitched circles. At this point, I realized I'd forgotten to add the twine. I prefer to keep the insides of my cards "clean," so I carefully peeled away the top part of the front plaid panel, & taped the ends of a length of twine behind the panel. Then I tied a knot with another piece of twine around the first. I used a little liquid glue on the knot to keep it from coming untied, & added more glue behind the knot to keep it in place. I stuck the top of the background panel back to the card base, & that finished this card.

I'm also entering this card in Double Trouble's Challenge #133, "Use the Color Green." I'm playing the optional twist of adding plaid.

12 comments:

  1. What a nice combination of challenges you combined and glad you include our Twisted Sister's optional twist for three chances to our random draw. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble and Inspiration Station.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blessing and lovely card! Thanks so much for joining in this month’s challenge over at Inspiration Station!

    lovies, =o) kel
    Inspiration Station DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an Irish Blessing I'm not familiar with, and I like it! Thanks for joining the Inspiration Station Challenge and we look forward to seeing more of your lovely designs soon.
    Donna xx
    Beautiful Blossoms Challenge
    Paper Funday Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, what a wonderful St. Patrick's Day card!!! I love how you combined our Double Trouble "Pinch Proof" theme with our Try Stampin' on Tuesday sketch!! Using the Irish poem, plaids and shamrocks met both challenges' requirements on target! Thank you for sharing your creative talents with both of us!!! -Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute card! And it goes perfectly with that sketch. Perfect for the St Patrick's holiday! Thanks for joining us at Double Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is wonderful, Andrea! I love the colors. The Irish Blessing is also a lovely touch. Thank you for joining us at Double Trouble Challenge #133.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!