Monday, June 29, 2020

Un-frog-ettable




My aunt has a birthday soon. She & my uncle love to perform "oldies" type songs, karaoke-style, for senior citizens. When I saw this greeting stamp from Repeat Impressions, it made me think of Nat King Cole, and his rendition of "Unforgettable." I don't know if my aunt & uncle go back that far in time with the songs they sing, but it still made me think of their singing. I combined the "Happy Frog" (also from Repeat Impressions) with a cake from Art Impressions' "Birthday Cake Set" & a party hat from Lawn Fawn's "Monster Mash" stamp set.

I first stamped the frog onto the plastic sheet for my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig. The stamp is red rubber, so I would have had a horrible time trying to position it accurately with the cake & hat using my MISTI or even just eyeballing it with the stamp mounted on an acrylic block. I then stamped & cut masks for the cake & hat from masking paper.

I used the frog image on my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig sheet to help me position the cake & hat stamps in my MISTI. I stamped them onto a scrap of Strathmore Vellum Bristol paper. I placed the masks over the cake & hat, and then used my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig & an acrylic block to stamp the frog. I was so happy it came out looking like one stamp, instead of 3 separate images!

After I cut my image with a Mama Elephant "Tags a Lot" die, I colored it with my Prismacolor pencils. I highlighted the frog's belly & chin with yellow (over a light layer of green), to indicate the candle flame shining on those parts. I die cut a hole reinforcer from pink cardstock & glued it to the top of my tag. I let the glue dry, then punched through the middle with a 1/8" hole punch. I threaded a few lengths of green & white baker's twine, that complemented the frog's colors, through the hole & knotted them.

At this point, I looked at my tag, and wondered what to do with it to make it into a card! Usually, I start with an idea of an image or greeting I want to use, then proceed to find a sketch to base my design decisions on. This time, in a bit of a "cart before the horse" fashion, I created my focal element before coming up with any design. So I pulled out my binder with card sketches, & found #SC727 from Splitcoaststampers.com. The one panel in the sketch was pretty close in size to my tag, so I went with that.

I used a patterned paper from Pink Paislee's "Birthday Bash" 6x6" pad for my background layer. I thought it was understated enough to be a background, but still give a festive vibe. I also cut a strip from a sheet in Crate Paper's "Party Day" 12x12" patterned paper pad. The paper had several strips with various patterns, & I thought the yellow chevron with the pink "Happy Birthday to You" along one side went perfectly as a supplementary greeting. I stamped my main greeting in Lawn Fawn Wild Rose ink, which matched the printing ink color on the patterned paper strip pretty closely. I cut that into a banner, and adhered it to my card front. Finally, I adhered my tag, & mounted the front panel to a white A2-size card base.

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

4 comments:

  1. This is so fun and adorable!!! i know your aunt and uncle with love it! And I am sure they are familiar with "Unforgettable"! I love the masking you did with the cake and hat; they really do look like they are part of the frog image! Great job! Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice project! All of your design decisions are perfect! Thanks for playing along with us at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah, Owner

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!