Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Magic Slider Birthday Card


A Blog Named Hero's challenge theme this month has been "Interactive." I decided, since I needed a birthday card for a family member, I'd wow her a little with a magic slider card. I followed the instructions from Kelly Marie Alvarez's lesson in Online Card Classes' "Clear & Sheer" class.

After I cut & scored a panel for the magic slider portion of my card, I die cut a window in the front of that with a Lawn Fawn "Small Stitched Rectangle" die. I used a pencil to draw lines on the inside of this card around the window area. Then I stamped the balloons from Hero Arts' "Happy Birthday" set (discontinued). Because I was masking, I had to stamp on the card & the acetate piece I'd cut for the window at the same time. I stamped first on the card, then the acetate for each balloon cluster. Then I masked the image on the card, moved my stamp, stamped on the card, repositioned the acetate over the card, stamped, and so on. I used Memento Tuxedo Black ink for the card, and Staz-on Jet Black ink for the acetate. I also used my MISTI tool, which I feel is pretty important to make sure the images on the acetate & card line up well. I also stamped the "Happy Birthday" greeting from the same stamp set, though just on the card, not the acetate. Kind of an extra surprise when she pulls up the insert.

After I had finished stamping, I put my acetate aside and colored the images on the card with my Prismacolor colored pencils. I used paper stumps dipped in Gamsol to blend the colors out & give some shading to the balloons. I then lined up my acetate with the image, & adhered it to the front window portion of my card with Scor Tape.

Insert halfway up
I used 1/4" wide cardstock strips along the sides & bottom of my colored card to create the channel for my insert. I cut the insert from white cardstock, and added another strip to the bottom, to act as a stopper. I cut a slit along the fold of the card, for the insert to slide up & down through. Then I slipped the insert through the slot, and adhered the front of the card to the back with more Scor Tape, sandwiching the insert in between.

For the pull tab, I die cut 2 hearts with a Nellie's Choice "Straight Hearts" die from a scrap of pink chevron patterned paper. I inked both hearts with Worn Lipstick Distress ink, just to knock the pattern back a bit. Then I stamped the "pull" & arrow from My Favorite Things' "Interactive Labels" set on one of the hearts. I glued that to the top of the insert, and glued the other heart to the back.

Insert all the way up
To create a mat for my magic slider, I used a Prima chevron stencil & Worn Lipstick to ink up a 4.25x5.5" piece of pink cardstock. I added Scor Tape to both sides of a piece of craft foam, adhered that to the back of my slider card, & adhered the foam-backed slider to my mat. Finally, I mounted my card front to a white A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

Dies R Us Challenge #75: "Celebrations"
613 Avenue Create #198: "Anything Goes"

6 comments:

  1. What a FUN creation Andrea!! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Celebrations’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

    Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
    DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun interactive card. Thank you for sharing your card with us at A Blog Named Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a clever slide up card. Love the soft colors. Thanks for sharing it with Us at Dies R Us Challenge Blog. We hope to see more of your creations in our future challenges.
    Kathy
    DRU DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!