Thursday, July 21, 2016

Happy Birthday Tea


A friend of my mom is celebrating her birthday tomorrow. She likes to have tea, so I decided to make her a teapot birthday card for my mom to give to her.

This is one of those cards that took a few turns as I was making it. I began with this tutorial for a teapot card, which I found through a Google search. Unfortunately, the template was not included in the blog post, so I went back to Google and did a search for "teapot card template." I finally found a template for a teapot, and figured I could adapt it to fit with the tutorial I'd found initially. Well, after I sized the pattern in Photoshop & printed it out on cardstock to create a template, I realized it wouldn't work for the design that was demonstrated in the tutorial. Sooo....

I decided to make a top fold card, connected at the handle for the lid. I traced my pattern onto the back of a piece of patterned paper from the "Garden Party" 6x6" pad by Pebbles. I used a craft knife to cut out the space between the handle & body of the teapot, and cut along the outer edge with scissors. I then adhered the teapot to a piece of white cardstock with repositionable adhesive, and cut the card back out from that. I inked the edges of the patterned paper piece with Worn Lipstick Distress ink. I cut the lid for the teapot off from my template, and used that as a mask to ink around the lid area on the patterned paper piece.

From a scrap of watercolor paper, I die cut flowers & leaves using Our Daily Bread Designs' "Bitty Blossoms" dies, and a sprig with Poppy Stamps' "Garden Sprig" die. I smooshed Distress inks in Forest Moss, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean, & Dusty Concord onto my non-stick craft mat, and spritzed each with a bit of homemade Perfect Pearls mist. I dipped my die cuts into the colors, and swirled them around to apply the ink to the paper. Then I set those aside to dry.

For the greeting, I used part of one from Simon Says Stamp's "Birthday Messages" set. I masked off the "to you" in the stamp with painter's tape, and inked it with Versamark ink. After I removed the tape, I stamped the "Happy Birthday" onto white cardstock, heat embossed it with Ranger Silver embossing powder, and cut it into a small banner.

After my flowers & leaves had dried, I started arranging them on my teapot. I decided they needed something behind them to set them off from the patterned paper. Since I didn't have a small enough doily (which I really wanted), I went through my Spellbinders dies, and found the "Heart Circles" set. I die cut white cardstock with the second-smallest die, and glued my flower arrangement to that. After the glue dried, I adhered the circle to my teapot, gluing one end of my banner in place underneath.

To finish my card, I used Scor Tape to adhere the front to the back at the top handle part. This way, the card folds at the top. I added Star Dust Stickles to the flower centers, and this card was done!

I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

Our Daily Bread Designs: "Anything that Grows...with ODBD"
Die Cut Divas: "Make It Glitter"

4 comments:

  1. Lots of inventiveness in creating the tea pot. It looks like an old-fashioned tea pot and it's so cute. Great addition of Perfect Pearls.

    So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic idea I love how this has turned out despite the false start, so lovely and feminine. Thank you for joining the Diecut Divas Make it Glitter Challenge. Cathie DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!