Sunday, December 6, 2015

Two Hanukkah Cards


With Hanukkah starting today, I decided to make 2 cards for some friends of ours. This first one is a spinner card.

For my card front, I temporarily adhered my blue panel to the front of a white card base, and die cut a window (just in the blue and front of my card base) with a Spellbinders "Standard Circles SM" die. I also cut a frame with that same die and a "Lacey Circles" die, also by Spellbinders, from white cardstock. I glued the frame around the window on the blue panel, then separated the blue from the card base.

I downloaded a clip art image of a dreidel off the Internet, and sized it for my card window in Photoshop. I copied it, so I had 2 images, and flipped the second image so it was in reverse. Then I printed those onto the back of some cherry wood paper from Simon Says Stamp (no longer available). I fussy cut them, and drew the lines for the edges on the front of each with a brown marker. I cut a length of thin fishing line, doubled it, then adhered it between my dreidel pieces, using Be Creative double-sided tape. I used more double-sided tape to adhere the fishing line to the back of the blue panel, centered within the window. Finally, I added more adhesive with my ATG, and mounted the blue panel back onto the card base, lining up the window in each piece.

After die cutting & embossing a piece of white cardstock with a Spellbinders "Grommet Tags" die, I inked the center portion with Tumbled Glass Distress ink. I scanned it into my computer, and used that image to size my greeting, which I then printed onto the tag. I adhered the tag in place on my card front, and filled in the holes with Silver Pearl Liquid Pearls.


I got the inspiration for my second card from this card that I found through Pinterest. I created a blank canvas in Photoshop, and typed "Happy Hanukkah" 8 times. (I did do all this horizontally, just to make it easier!) After spacing those lines of text out, I typed the larger greeting in the middle. I added a Star of David clip art image to the canvas, and reduced the opacity of that layer so it would print in a very light grey. Then I printed all that onto a piece of white cardstock.

I traced over the Star of David with a blue glitter gel pen, using my ruler to help keep the lines clean & straight. I then die cut 8 candle flames from gold paper using a die from a Tim Holtz "Birthday Blueprint" stamp/die set. After gluing them in place, I drew the rays from the Star of David with a gold gel pen. Finally, I matted that panel with a piece of patterned paper from my scrap stash, and mounted that onto a white card base.

4 comments:

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!