Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Movin' On--Happy Father's Day!

After working so much on Mother's Day cards for Operation Write Home & Send a Smile 4 Kids, it's time to move along to Father's Day. Both those organizations have at least a month's lead time for special days like this, so they can get the cards sent out in time for the initial recipients to send/give them to their loved ones. So, even though Father's Day is still a couple of months away, it's time to craft those cards!


My first card was inspired by this YouTube video that Sandy Allnock did on OWHTv. She heat embossed a background, then smooshed Distress ink pads onto that. After spritzing it with water, she let it dry, and had a nice, masculine background. The same technique could be used for a feminine card, just by changing the color scheme.

I used the Hero Arts/BasicGrey "Highline Ironwork" background stamp. I inked it up with Versamark, and stamped onto a piece of Strathmore Mixed Media Paper that I'd cut to 4x5.25". After sprinkling on Ranger's Super Fine Detail White embossing powder, I heat embossed it. I then applied Distress inks in Weathered Wood, Peeled Paint, and Chipped Sapphire to the background, spreading the colors directly with the ink pads. I spritzed it generously with water from my mister bottle. Not having Sandy's patience to let it air dry, I sped it along with my heat tool, being careful not to remelt the heat embossing. While I was drying it, I did use a paper towel to soak up a few spots that just looked too dark, before the ink dried.

After I'd dried the background, I used one of Spellbinders' "Classic Ovals SM" dies to cut a window out of one side of the panel. I scanned the panel into my computer, then opened the image in Photoshop. I used that to size and position my greeting, from this Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps set, so it would show through the window. Then I printed the greeting onto a piece of white cardstock that I'd cut to 4.25x5.5". I did end up having to trim that piece slightly, because I got some ink on where it would have shown. So I cut it smaller than the inked background, and adhered it to the back of that panel. Finally, I adhered the entire piece to a white A2-size card base.


a2z Scrapbooking's challenge theme this month is "Stencil." I decided to combine this challenge with A Blog Named Hero's "Embossing" challenge, and create a stenciled/embossed background. My design inspiration came from Operation Write Home's Sketch #227:


I did a rather loose interpretation, mostly using the focal panel position from the sketch.

I used the Hero Arts/BasicGrey "Flag Pattern" stencil, a recent acquisition. I taped it over a 3.75x5" piece of Mixed Media Paper, and smooshed Versamark ink through the stencil. Once I knew I had good coverage, I applied Ranger Super Fine Detail White embossing powder, and melted that with my heat tool. Then I went over the embossing with watercolors in the orange/red range. The embossing resisted the watercolors, giving a really neat effect!

For the focal point, I stamped the gears image from Stampers Anonymous' "Mini Blueprints 3" stamp set onto a piece of blue cardstock, using Versamark. I white heat embossed that, and matted the panel with a burnt orange cardstock, which I felt went well with the background, and complemented the blue. After adhering that in place, I matted the background with more of the blue cardstock. I colored 3 silver mini round brads with Ranger's black alcohol ink, and used those to attach 3 of The Paper Studio's "Vintage Gears" around the focal panel. Finally, I created my greeting in Photoshop, printed it on a piece of bristol paper, cut that into a banner shape, and adhered it with foam tape to the card front. I matted the whole thing with more burnt orange cardstock before adhering it to an A2 card base. I will be sending these cards to Operation Write Home.

I'm entering my first card in A Blog Named Hero's "Embossing" challenge as well.

16 comments:

  1. Great cards, Andrea, both are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous backgrounds ... so very glad you joined our April Stenciling Challenge at a2z scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great set of cards! Love the offset of the sentiment in the first card and the whimsy of the second card. Thanks for playing with us over at A Blog Named Hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow--really stunning looks with this! glad you entered at a2z!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these. The water color background is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful set:_ loved the masculine card. great choice of colors.. Thanks for joining us at A blog named hero

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cards! Thanks for playing with us at a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!