Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sending Smiles

Simon Says Stamp's current challenge on their Wednesday Challenge blog is "Spots and Dots." In going through my supplies, looking for something that would fit that requirement, I came across this stencil. Now, on its own, it has neither spots nor dots. But I thought I could combine it with the Tim Holtz "Dot Fade" layering stencil and get a cool effect. So that's what I went with.

For my design, I used this sketch by Operation Write Home:

I figured my butterfly would fit beautifully in the middle, over the 3 horizontal strips.

I started by sponging Spun Sugar Distress ink over the butterfly stencil. After that, I taped the "Dot Fade" stencil over the butterfly stencil, and pounced Peacock Feathers Distress ink through the holes. That made a neat pattern on the butterfly! I cut out the shape, excluding the antennae because I felt they'd be too fragile to manage, and inked around the edges with more Peacock Feathers.

For the background panel, I cut a piece of light teal Core'dinations cardstock to size, and embossed it with the Cuttlebug "D'vine Swirl" embossing folder. While the cardstock was still in the folder, I sanded the raised portions, exposing the lighter-colored core of the paper. (Keeping the cardstock in the folder helps give more support, so I don't squash the design while sanding.)

I chose dark magenta and light yellow cardstocks for the strips, cutting 2 of the magenta and 1 of the yellow. I found a piece of dark green cardstock in my scrap files, and used it to mat the teal panel.

After gluing the strips in place, I placed the butterfly and marked where the edges of the head went. Then I drew swirly antennae from those points, and pierced holes along the lines. I erased my sketch lines, glued the butterfly down to the card front, and re-pierced a few of the holes that were covered up by the wings. Then I took black embroidery floss and stitched the antennae. I didn't have any small black brads, so I colored 2 silver ones with black alcohol ink, to go at the ends of the antennae.

For the greeting, I stamped one from Hero Arts' "Shoot for the Moon" set in Ranger's Archival Jet Black ink onto a piece of vellum. I cut it into a strip, and ran it through my Xyron sticker maker machine to coat the back with adhesive. After I adhered it to the card front, I marked and stitched 3 small cross-stitches on either end. Finally, I mounted the whole front panel to an A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in a2z Scrapbooking's July Linky Party: "Anything Goes."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!