Friday, October 11, 2024

1 Sketch - 2 Cards

Christmas Card Throwdown has a Sketch Challenge this week. For both my cards, I was able to make use of scraps & frames from my stash, which always makes me happy!




I used images from the Essentials by Ellen "Santa's List" stamp set (discontinued) for both of my cards. I found a couple of chipboard frames in a desk drawer that I have had for years. I picked out one for each card to use for the smaller element in the sketch. 

For my first card, I stamped the reindeer onto a panel of Strathmore vellum bristol paper that I'd cut to fit behind the frame. I masked off the deer, and then stamped the tree from the set "behind" the deer & another on the right side of the panel. I masked the first tree I stamped & stamped a third tree next to it. I was very careful to make sure the baseline of each image that was behind another was higher in the scene than what was in front, to make sure they truly looked like they were in the background. I colored the images with my Prismacolor pencils, & then used white acrylic craft paint to splatter snow over the scene.

I covered the frame with a scrap of patterned paper that was larger than the frame. When the glue had dried, I used my craft knife to cut around the outside of the frame & cut out the center opening. After I used a nail buffer to smooth the edges, I inked around the inside & outside with Barn Door Distress Oxide ink to finish everything off. The frame already had holes punched in the bottom section, so punched through those in the patterned paper. I threaded some red ribbon through them & tied a bow in the middle. Finally, I glued my scene panel behind the frame.

I got my greeting from Simon Says Stamp's "Merry & Bright" stamp set (discontinued). I die cut 2 tabs from white cardstock with one of the "Tab" dies from Creek Bank Creations (one for each card), & stamped my greeting onto those. I glued one to to back of my reindeer frame so it peeked out from the top.

I adhered my patterned paper (again from my scrap stash) to the left of my card front, & then glued the frame on top. As a finishing touch, I added a drop of Christmas Red Stickles to the reindeer's nose. (I just had to make him Rudolph!)


I kept my design for my second card even closer to the sketch. I used most of the same processes & products to create this one. I stamped the sleigh onto a panel of vellum bristol. I also stamped Santa onto vellum bristol, and cut him out with the coordinating die. I stamped the list image onto a scrap of heavyweight white cardstock, & die cut that as well. I used my Prismacolor pencils to color Santa & the sleigh & sky on the image panel. I also added some shine to Santa's eyes & buttons with a black glaze pen. Then I glued the list to his hand & a bit behind the bottom corner of his coat.

To ink the edges of the frame, I used Shabby Shutters Distress Oxide ink. I glued the image panel behind my frame, and glued Santa on top. Because he overlapped the inner edge of my frame, I added foam tape under him in that part to give more support. I also used foam tape under the edge of the list that overhung the outer edge of the frame. I adhered my patterned paper panel to the card front, & then glued my frame element to the card. As a finishing touch, I squeezed a dollop of Tulip Puffy fabric paint to the pompom on top of Santa's hat. I let that dry (as per the instructions), and then steamed it with an iron to puff it up. I will send both cards to Send a Smile 4 Kids, hopefully to bring some holiday joy to a couple of hospitalized kiddos!

I'm also entering these cards in the following challenges:

18 comments:

  1. Both cards are just so darn cute! So glad you joined the challenge at Die Cut Divas this month. Arlene, Die Cut Divas DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Christmas card. Thanks for playing at 52 CCT challange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beauty Andrea.
    Love the sweet digi.
    Thanks for joining us at 613Avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your Christmas cards are very happy and beautiful. And it's very nice to see if can use our scraps. You very nice used our sketch at 52CCT. Thank you for joining us. Valentina DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful card! The chipboard frame highlights your Christmas scene beautifully. Thank you for playing at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown. Gill, DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the look of those older stamps, and framing them highlights them wonderfully! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Christmas cards, both so cute, and love the way you used the sketch in two different ways. That Santa is adorable too! Thanks for playing along with us at Send a Smile 4 Kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card. Very nice card sketch. Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create this month. Hope to see your lovely artwork back here again soon. Judy DT https://avenue613.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fab way to use the sketch!
    We are always super happy to see every entry dropped into our mailbox at 613 Avenue Create.
    Please do come back again!
    The very best of luck with your entry.
    Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!