Thursday, October 24, 2019

Peeking Snowman Merry Christmas


The current challenge at Christmas Card Throwdown is "Snowmen." I got this "Snowman Peeker" digital image from Bugaboo quite some time ago, & figured it would be perfect for this challenge. I used the sketch at Catch the Bug's Stella Says Sketch Challenge #717 for my design.

After figuring out rough dimensions for my card elements, I opened my image in Photoshop. I created a blank "canvas" there, and dragged the snowman onto it. I sized him, and then printed him onto a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper I'd cut to size.

I used my Mijello Mission Gold & Da Vinci watercolors to paint the image. I extended the black vertical line at the left edge of the image with a black marker, so it was the height of the panel. After the panel had dried, I fussy cut along the left side, around his hat brim, face, & mitten. Then I went over the cut edges with a black brush tip marker, just to give it a more finished appearance.

I chose several patterned papers from my scrap stash. I cut a 1/4" wide strip of the striped paper, and punched along the edge of the candy cane paper with my Fiskars Scallop Sentiment border punch. I also cut six 7/8x7/8" squares from different patterns. I used Vintage Photo Distress ink to go around the edges of the scalloped piece & squares, just so they wouldn't all run together into one big hot mess.

For the background, I used a 4x5.25" panel of green cardstock. I marked where the left edge of my image panel would go, and adhered the striped piece & candy cane strip to the left of that line. I glued my squares in place next. I realized, right after I'd adhered the 2 strips, that I should have glued the squares first, then adhered the scalloped strip over them. But it worked out, since I could just lift up the scallops a bit to snug the squares underneath. After everything was down, I adhered my image with strong double-sided tape, overlapping the strips with the fussy cut portions of the snowman. Finally, I matted the panel with a light blue piece that I'd adhered to a white A2-size card base.

I used one of the stamps from Hero Arts' "Merry Christmas Messages" set for my greeting. I stamped it onto a scrap of white cardstock with Delicata Ruby Red pigment ink. This ink has a slight shimmer to it that makes it good for festive cards. I cut the cardstock into a banner, and adhered it to the front of the card. I kind of debated whether to place the end of the greeting flush with the edge of the card like I did, or against the edge of the green panel. Along the edge of the card just seemed to look better to me, so there it stayed. :)

I'm also entering this card in the following challenges:

613 Avenue Create Challenge #226: "Anything Goes" (not playing the twist)
Send a Smile 4 Kids: "Celebration Cards 4 Kids or Anything Goes 4 Kids"

12 comments:

  1. Love this cute snowman peeker image, you've coloured him beautifully and along with the lovely festive papers he's the perfect choice for this sketch. Thank you for joining us at Catch the Bug.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A super fun festive card, love the snowman ! Thanks for sharing at 613 Avenue Create x

    ReplyDelete
  3. je trouve ce bonhomme de neige génial Andrea, quel adorable mise en scène, merci de jouer avec nous chez 52CCT, biz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cheery, festive card - I love the different design papers used to make the border. Thanks for joining us at the 52CCT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute Santa! So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create. Please come back again! The best of luck with your entry. Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colouring! Thank you for taking part in our 52 Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge - Myrna DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!