Tuesday, September 30, 2014

You're Bewitching!


You're probably thinking, for someone who doesn't make Halloween cards, I've sure been making at least a few recently. Well, if so, you're right. I've found a new "outlet," in Send a Smile 4 Kids. This organization collects handmade cards to give to children's hospitals. Then, staff & family can have cute cards to write on to give to kids who are inpatients. It's a good organization, and I encourage you to check it out!

For this card, I based my design on the following Operation Write Home sketch:

I printed my focal image from Jane's Doodles onto a piece of 140-lb. watercolor paper. It is funny sometimes: a piece that looks so large in the sketch printout is actually quite small! I was a bit surprised when I saw my 2x3" panel, but thankfully, it still worked for the little witch! After I let the ink dry for a few minutes, I colored her with Inktense pencils and my water brush. I added a little detailing with a gold gel pen to the buckle on her hat; and light washes of Tumbled Glass & Pumice Stone Distress inks for the background & ground, respectively.

I chose 2 patterned papers for my background. The black is from the "Doodle Deux" Collection 6x6" pad by Prima, and the bold-colored wonky chevron pattern is from "Unforgettable," which is in My Mind's Eye's Collectable collection. I cut the chevron pattern down, and adhered it to the black background piece.

I cut a piece of yellow-orange cardstock for the greeting/mat panel, and printed the "You're Bewitching," which I'd created in Photoshop, directly on that. I tied a piece of black bakers twine from Maya Road around the panel under the greeting, securing the bow with a bit of Ranger's Multi Medium Matte. I adhered that & the focal panel in place on the card front. Finally, I adhered the front to an A2-size card base. A simple card, but hopefully one that will bring a smile to a child's face!

I'm entering this card in Send a Smile 4 Kids' "Fall Colors 4 Kids" challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!