Thursday, May 31, 2018

Happy Birthday Bouquet

This month's challenge theme at Die Cut Divas has been "April Showers Bring May Flowers." I created this birthday card for my stash with that theme in mind. For my design inspiration, I used Sketch #SC639 from Splitcoaststampers.com

I stamped Taylored Expressions' "Wildflower Bouquet" onto a scrap of Canson XL Mixed Media paper with Memento Toffee Crunch ink. I wanted a slightly softer look, so I went with a light brown instead of black. I left the stamp in my MISTI stamp positioner, so I could overstamp after I had finished coloring.

I colored the image with my Prismacolor colored pencils, using Gamsol on paper blending stumps to blend the colors. I basically used 2 shades per color, except for the yellow, brown, & the blue for the water. After I had finished coloring, I put the panel back into my MISTI, and stamped again with Toffee Crunch. The colored pencils cause a waxy buildup on the paper, which fades some of the stamp lines. By restamping, I was able to solidify the lines like I wanted, though they are still lighter. After that, I die cut it with the coordinating die.

For the greeting, I used Altenew's "Birthday Builder" stamp set. I stamped the coordinating "happy" & "birthday" from the set in Toffee Crunch onto a strip of teal cardstock. Then I cut that into a banner, and laid it aside with my image while I worked on the rest of the card.

I die cut two flower pieces from 140 lb. watercolor paper, using a Spellbinders "Blooms One" die (discontinued). I die cut leaves & another flower with dies from Our Daily Bread Designs' "Bitty Blossoms" set. I smooshed Fired Brick & Seedless Preserves Distress inks onto a non-stick craft mat, spritzed them with water, & pressed my flower pieces into the puddles of ink. I used Crushed Olive & Peeled Paint Distress inks in the same manner for the leaves. As they were drying, I used a water brush to pick up some of the Peeled Paint, and applied it to the base of the leaves to add shading. Then I set the pieces aside to dry.

I cut my patterned paper pieces according to the sketch. The floral pattern is from Basic Grey's "Hey Girl" 6x6" paper pad; and the red stripe is from My Mind's Eye's "Unforgettable" 6x6" pad, from their Collectables (sic) line. I matted the floral panel with a 4.25x5.5" piece of pale yellow cardstock, adhered the red strip, & layered a panel of green cardstock on top. Then I glued my focal image & the greeting strip in place.

By then my die cut flowers & leaves had dried. I layered the 2 larger flower pieces, slightly offset to provide a fuller bloom. I glued that and the other flower in place, and tucked 2 leaves under each. Finally, I added a clear gem to the center of each flower, and adhered my card front to a white A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in 613 Avenue Create's "Anything Goes" challenge.

1 comment:

  1. This card is so bright and cheerful with its vase of flowers. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!