Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Creative Knockouts #181


Challenge #181 at Creative Knockouts is a recipe challenge. You have to use 1 image, 2 embellishments, & 3 patterned papers. I really struggled with this one. The image & patterned paper requirements weren't too hard, but applying embellishments without creating a visual triangle--which by definition requires at least 3 items--proved a bit stressful! But I'm happy with the end result, and hopefully the recipient will be, too. :)

I started with a really old sketch from Operation Write Home. I believe it was #8 (out of a total of 259 sketches). The sketch as is has 2 background panels, split with a diagonal line running from the upper right corner to the bottom left, and a focal/greeting piece in the middle. Because I needed 3 patterned papers, I tweaked the sketch slightly. I created a portrait-oriented, A2-size blank "canvas" in Photoshop, and drew 2 diagonal lines, to create 3 areas that represented my patterned paper panels. I printed that onto a piece of copy paper and cut it apart to use as a pattern for cutting my patterned papers.

For the image, I used the "Lily Block" digi image from Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps. I sized it to fit on a 2.5" diameter square, with a 1/8" white border around the block. I then printed that onto a piece of Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper. I found a photo of a purple lily online, and colored my image based on that with my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers.

After cutting my patterned papers (from my scrap stash), I adhered them directly to the front of a white A2 card base. I mounted my image panel, and then came the time to decide on my embellishments. I found a small wood veneer butterfly (I believe by The Paper Studio) in my stash, and a purple flower-shaped button that I felt would be perfect. I threaded the button with yellow embroidery floss, and painted the butterfly with a Ranger Adirondack Gold paint dauber. Finally, I used Perfect Paper Adhesive to glue both pieces in place, & set 2 acrylic blocks on the button to keep it in contact with the card while the glue dried. I just love the bold colors in this card, and felt it didn't really need a greeting. It can then be used for pretty much any occasion. I will send this card in my next package to Send a Smile 4 Kids. I figure it will be a good card for an older girl in one of their hospitals.

I'm also entering my card in the following challenges:

Send a Smile 4 Kids: Easter or Spring Cards 4 Kids
Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday Challenge: Fantastic Florals

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! Such a great design! So pretty!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!