Friday, October 2, 2015

Thinking of You

Splitcoast Stampers is having their annual Hope You Can Cling To challenge series & card drive this month. The idea is for crafters to create cards to send to MD Anderson Cancer Center. They can be for family members to give to their loved ones who are battling cancer, or the card maker can write a personal note in the card to send to the patients and their loved ones. This is my first card, for the "Split the Difference" challenge. The idea is to have a full scene, split by a greeting. You can read more about this specific challenge at the "Split the Difference" forum post. More information about the HYCCT campaign can be found on this post.


I used the outline image from the "Floral Jug" digi set from Doodle Pantry for the front of my card. I opened the image in Photoshop, as well as a greeting from the "Marigolds & Morpho" digi set by Fred, She Said. I sized the image to fit on a 4x5.25" panel, and positioned the greeting over it. I enlarged the greeting, and also created a white box to go behind it, to mask the jug. I felt the greeting was "floating" a bit too much, though, so I drew a line above and below it, to frame it and separate it from the jug more. Finally, I printed my composite onto a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper.

There is a colored image included in the "Floral Jug" set, which I printed off to use as reference. I wanted to put my own spin on the colors, though, rather than just copy the colors the artist used. So I googled calla lily & daisy colors. I found a striking photo of purple and white calla lilies, and a pink daisy. So I printed those for reference as well. I used my Inktense pencils and a damp brush to color the image. When I got to the jug, I masked off the greeting area with low-tack painter's tape, and colored the jug. I was glad to find, when I removed the masking, that none of the color had seeped under the tape, even with all the water I ended up using!

To finish the card, I adhered my watercolor panel onto a lavender mat, and mounted that to a white A2 card base.

I am also entering this card in the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp's Wednesday "Anything Goes"
Doodle Pantry Ants in My Pantry Challenge #10: "Anything Goes"
Through the Craft Room Door: "Anything Goes"

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely SUPERB, Andrea! Love the clean and soft coloring! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Best Regards, Mary

    TTCRD DT
    Thyme To Create {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great image beautiful colouring! Thanks for joining us for AIMPDC#10 hope to see you next month. Dawn Doodle Pantry DT

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!