Thursday, December 11, 2014

Merry Christmas Snowman


The theme for Day 4 of Bugaboo's 2nd Annual "Holiday Chaos" challenge series is a recipe challenge. The recipe calls for one image, two of something, and three of something else. I used their "Winter Snowman" image, 2 patterned papers, and 3 buttons for my card.

I began, as I usually do, by choosing a sketch from Operation Write Home:


I had to make the banner slightly taller to accommodate my greeting. Consequently, there was not enough room for it if I matted it, so I inked around the edges with Black Soot Distress ink instead. Otherwise, I followed the sketch.

I printed my image onto a piece of 140 lb. Strathmore watercolor paper. After taping it to my work surface, I colored it with Inktense pencils and a damp paintbrush, using regular watercolor for the sky. Then I set that aside to air dry, while I worked on the rest of the card.

I chose 2 patterned papers from my holiday scrap stash. I cut them to the sizes indicated in the sketch, and matted them with black paper. I adhered the snowflake pattern on top of the plaid. For my greeting, I chose one from this Hero Arts set. I stamped it onto a piece of white cardstock in Versafine Onyx Black ink, and cut the cardstock into a banner shape.

By this time, the image panel was pretty much dry. I matted it with more black paper, adhered it in place, and glued down the greeting strip over the bottom of it. Finally, I picked 3 red buttons from my stash, and sewed them onto the card front with white embroidery floss. I put little drops of Ranger Multi Medium Matte under the buttons, just to keep them from wiggling around. Then I adhered the completed card front to an A2 card base.

I'm also entering this card in a2z Scrapbooking's December "Watercolor" challenge.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful water coloring, Andrea! Such a great choice for a sentiment, too...one of my all time faves!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That greeting set is one of my favorites ... so glad you joined us at a2z Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, this is adorable! love it! glad to see it over at a2z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Bugaboo will always be one of my favorite places to shop for digi images --- I LOVE them, own hundreds and find I am especially drawn to Jodie's sweet Christmas designs...so fun and they make me HAPPY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how pretty! Love that sentiment, and those cute buttons. Thanks for joining us over at a2z Scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts on my work, so feel free to speak your mind!